What #1 said.... At 5.5

(here's another blog I had written sometime ago and forgot to publish....too funny not to!)

Bumped into some old friends a couple of Sundays ago and they commented that we now finally have kids and didn't we get married some time ago, how come the kids are so young?  And were they conceived naturally... blah de blah.  No, I wasn't offended at all cos it's the truth, we have been married coming 14.5 yrs now and our kids are just 5.5 & 1 yo. 

I replied that we are adoptive parents (I seldom like to say that our kids are adopted, rather prefer to say they we are adoptive parents).  I then realised I had told her without asking the permission of my 5.5 yo.  Luckily she wasn't within earshot... but I took the opportunity to ask for permission when we went to the ladies and it went like this:

Me: "Jie, can I tell Aunty G that we are an adoptive family?"
#1:  "No, mommy."
Me:  "Why not?"
#1:  "Because it's a secret!"
Me (surprised at her answer): "Why is it a secret?"
#1: "Just because it's a secret!"..... and ran out of the loo

I felt like I had to dig some more and found the opportunity 2 nights later.

Me: "V, why did you say it's a secret that we are an adoptive family?"
#1: "No reason."
Me: "It is how our family has been made and I'm super proud of it.... aren't you?  It's ok to tell others that you have 2 mommies and 2 daddies, just like your sister."
Jie, now getting a little annoyed with me, blinked and turned to me saying: "Mommy, how would THEY feel?  They have only 1 mommy and 1 daddy!"
Me, totally taken offguard by her innocent reply: "Jie, you are so sweet to think of them!  It's still ok, right?"
#1:  "But how would THEY feel?"

Sigh, how very innocent and how very considerate she is!  I just didn't have anything else to say but to hug her very tightly, smothering her with kisses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"We Just Want You to Know.. Our Journey to Becoming a Family" by Andrea Yee

Dream Came True!

Planning to Adopt Again? Why Not?